Ducks and eggs again

xephyr@cwnet.com xephyr at cwnet.com
Thu May 8 10:09:27 CEST 2003

Theresa, Sigvald and Cord debate:
> > Anyway the Ducks in Duckburgs act like humans, not like ducks.
>
> yep! But I still argue that they hatch... (it's not so unlike
> mammals - still eggs, just that they have harder shells. The
> difference between mammals and egg-animals is the way they
> feed the young ones, btw)

Though I've seen this debate pass through this list several times
over the years, for the most part I've stayed out of it, however,
I would like to mention one thing.

*AFAIK both comics and cartoons seem to agree that the Ducks are
HATCHED from eggs.*

I can honestly admit that I have most definitely NOT read all
Disney "Duck" comics so I may have missed a reference or two,
but in my experience reading them, I have ONLY seen actual
depictions of Ducks "hatching" from eggs. This has also been
their depiction in cartoons.

It never struck me as odd. I mean, they are "ducks", even though
they act like humans, they still have all the physical attributes
of birds, so what's the harm in letting them hatch?  It's not like
being "hatched" makes them somehow inferior in some way.  We're
talking about a mythical/fantasy world where the normal rules
don't necessarily apply, or are bent quite frequently. Once they
do hatch, of course they are completely cared for in the manner
of human children.

Of course, I know of no absolute rule that states the Ducks "hatch"
or any absolute rule that they are born from their mother's womb.
About the closest animal in "real life" would probably be the
Platypus, a mammal that looks like a furry duck and lays eggs, but
nurtures it's young like a mammal.

In any case, is there really any proof in comics that Ducks are
"born" rather than "hatched"?  If so, is there any stated policy
from Egmont or any official Disney source that clearly indicates
that all references to Ducks having been "hatched" in past stories
are now blasphemy?  If there are stories indicating "birth", then
the best we can say is that we have conflicting data on how Ducks
come into the world.

Otherwise, I'm perfectly fine thinking that Donald and his relatives,
as well as Gyro, Jose, Panchito, Clara Cluck and any other anthro-
pomorphic bird-character was "hatched" from an egg.  This, IMHO, does
not change their understood status as a human-like character, but
rather just indicates their starting point in the world.

I don't understand the harm in letting Ducks be hatched in a world
populated Ducks, Mice, Pigs, Chickens, Bears, and Dogs who act like,
and vaguely resemble, humans.

*shrug*

-Rich Bellacera
xephyr at cwnet.com