A Serious Accident to Scrooge McDuck (1912) and more

M.J. Prior M.J.Prior at let.rug.nl
Tue May 13 14:52:54 CEST 2003

In my previous message, I wrote:

> This line set me to thinking about this 'Ducks-as-charicaturized-
> human-beings'-thing, but for now I'm at a loss what my point
> would be and how and why I would want to put it forward.

For one thing, the Ducks may be charicatures of human beings,
but their world is also a travesty or less complicated version of our
own world.

> Scrooge may meet actual historical persons like Czar Nicholas II
> and John Jacob Astor (both died under awful circumstances).

Scrooge boarded the Titanic and survived it neatly. No mention of
lots and lots and lots of people drowning and freezing in the icecold
water. A gruesome experience? Merely a funny (and dramatic, to
be fair) passage in a comic. We actually see John Astor toppling
over board, but it doesn't look very alarming.

I don't think that such events aren't suited to be treated in a funny
or lightspirited way, it's after all a) a long time ago now and b)
merely a very unfortunate accident, unlike certain more specific
events and situations during WWII, but somehow it's precisely this
absence of a serious treatment that gives me the shudders when
reading the Titanic-passage in 'The Empire-Builder from Calisota'.

Michiel Prior.

P.S.: A teacher of mine used to have a xerox-copy hanging at his
door, showing the front page of a paper covering the Titanic
disastrofe, with the headlines saying, in big, black, bold letters:
JOHN JACOB ASTOR DEAD, and something like 'Titanic sinks,
1.522 people drowned' in much and much smaller letters.

Another funny detail: the name of the captain of the Carpathia, the
ship that picked up the survivors, was Haddock!
(Or maybe it was another captain of another ship, but there was a
capt. Haddock involved.)

Waarschuwing: als je probeert te replyen naar m.j.prior at let.rug.nl
gaat dat waarschijnlijk mis. Gebruik liever m.j.prior at student.rug.nl