Free Maharajah Donald/What I am Doing

Rob Klein bi442 at lafn.org
Fri May 16 16:25:51 CEST 2003

For Erik Horthe: I have been working on a children's book series with my own
(funny human)characters for the past 4 years.  It will have comic-book-style
cartooney illustrations on about every 2-3 pages. They will be chapter books.
It will be written on 2 levels.  One, for 10-13 year-olds,-the other could be
enjoyed by adults.  It is about a dysfunctional family who travel all over the
World having adventures (getting into trouble).  Lot's of Irony. It should be
something like a combination of "The Simpsons" blended with "The Wild
Thornberries". Not for those who are bored with heavy psychological drama
(mixed with Barksian humour(I hope).  I've written 11 stories in various
stages. Several are still just treatments.  3 are almost finished. We are not
Printing any for at least one year (probably longer), as the market for books
in Europe is TERRIBLE right now.  To inaugurate a SERIES now would be folly.
Its only chance for success would be squashed.  I can't say any more about it
(no details). I will let you know when we start advertising and our website is
up.

I had a few stories in progress for VNU-Sanoma, but have not taken time to
finish them.  Frank Jonker and I plan to write a few stories together this
Summer. I did finish writing a "replacement story" for Barks' 1952 "Queen of
The Apple Festival" story, based on his conversations with me about what he had
put in that story (1966-1969). he had told me MORE than what we've seen in
print in Barrier and all other sources together.  Daan Jippes agreed to draw
it.  But, alas, Geoff Blum had also decided to write one in a similar project.
Although I had started 2 years earlier, he got his in at the same time as
mine, -and they liked his better. I think I remember Daan telling me that they
might let him draw Geoff's version; but I don't know if that came about. I look
forward to reading Geoff's story-as it must be very good. I HOPE strongly that
they let Daan draw it (as he promised to draw mine as close to Carl Barks' 1952
style as he could.

David G.!-Can you give us any information on Geoff's story? When it is
scheduled for release in Scandinavia,- and who drew it?  Thanks.

Regarding the big white area on the cover of The Gemstone Free Comic: That is
for the name and complete address, phone numbers and e-mail address of the
individual Comic Book Shops which participated in The Free Comic Book Day - as
promotion for those shops.

Rob Klein