17th of May

Olaf Solstrand olaf at andebyonline.com
Sat May 17 19:20:31 CEST 2003

Oops... this one went out only for Sigvald. And I manage to do that every
time...

> Today it is 17th of May - the Norwegian national day - and an opportunity
> think about recent and more distant Norwegian history. In just a little
more
> than 2 years from now (on June 7th 2005) Norway will mark the 100th year
> anniversary for the dissolution of the union with Sweden. Later in 1905
the
> Danish prince Carl became king Haakon VII of Norway.
>
> Do anyone here know if Egmont have any plans to have special story done
for
> these 2005 Norwegian 100th year anniversaries - such as a Don Rosa Lo$
part
> 10a (taking place in Scandinavia in 1905)? If not - would you consider
> writing a story for this occasion - Olaf?

You seem to forget a few things here...
1 - I'm a newbie. Newbies aren't allowed to write great stories.
2 - Disney stories take place in 2003. (OK, you may disagree, but that is
what Byron Erickson has told me. Thus, the truth.) That means Scrooge was
probably not alive in 1905. Yes, I _know_ Don Rosa just wrote a story that
found place in 1906, but that is only because he's Don Rosa. We normal
writers aren't allowed to do such things.
3 - OK, this is a great Norwegian event - but I don't see why it should be
of interest for the rest of the world. It would just turn into a very
internal story that Norwegians would appreciate and everybody else would
scratch their heads to. Wouldn't one also in such a story have to picture
Swedes as bad guys? How would the Swedish readers respond to that?
4- What makes this event bigger than national anniversaries other places?
Example given: Five years ago, the state of Izrael had its fiftieth
anniversary. I saw no Disney Comics about that.

Sorry, Sigvald, but the only thing that could make me concider writing such
a story is Byron Erickson asking me to do it. Which I frankly _doubt_ will
happen, but that is not a discussion you should take with me.

Olaf the Royal Blue (signature of today)