Disney Character names in Chinese

Stefan Persson spe at inducks.org
Wed May 21 13:39:36 CEST 2003

Christina Hellstroem wrote:

> At least I can see it with chinese characters in Netscape mail, when i
select 'View' - 'Character coding' - 'Chinese Simplified (GB 2312)'. I'm
pretty sure it will work in the same way for all mailreaders which
support chinese (simplified) character pages.

It also works for me (in Mozilla Mail) if I manually set it to GB2312.

xephyr at cwnet.com wrote:

> I have a computer that is set up to write and recognize Chinese
> characters.... except on the web.  While I know the Characters were fine
> when I sent them, when I view them on the DCML the Chinese is changed to
> garbage.

Unluckily, your e-mail program adds wrong headers to the mail:

This should instead be

and the message would display better.  The program is fooled that you're using Latin-1, and most other programs in the world will misinterpret the contents of the mail.  This message uses the correct Chinese setting.  Are you able to display this:

> Chin'n Dale Chipmunk = Hua Li Shu Qi Qi he Di Di = »¨ÀõÊóÆæÆæ°²µÜµÜ
> Donald Duck = Tang Lao Ya = ÌÆÀÏø†
> - Rich Bellacera Âí·ÉÑÇ

Christina Hellstroem wrote:
> The DCML archive seems to encode the chinese text into html characters
> (taken from 'page source'):
>
>         Donald Duck = Tang Lao Ya = ÌÆÀÏø†
>
> and therefore they aren't recognized as chinese characters. I see
> chinese web pages otherwise fine, by setting the encoding to chinese
> simplified.

That is another problem.  The numbers are wrong, and will not display properly on any computer.  It should be some quite different numbers.

Stefan