SV: Re: Swedes and character names in strange languages

Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr. sigvald at duckburg.dk
Wed May 21 18:33:23 CEST 2003

Christina Hellström <chellstr at iki.fi> wrote:

> Well, I'm Finnish, although Swedish is my
> motherthoungue,

And your name look Swedish, just like Nordenskiöld who is mentioned "The
Crown of The Crusader Kings".

> But I'm not sure if you were including me into
> the 'Swedes' you mentioned.

Yes I included you in the group of "swedes" commenting this topic in DCML -
there was no way I could know that you're Finnish. The .fi in your adress
doesen't mean anything here as I have .dk in my adress even though I am
Norwegian.

Anyway, the point is the same as Finnish was also excluded in "Jeg Mikke
Mus". I won't claim there is a line from the 1970's Swedish and Finnish
redaction to modern DCML'ers from the same countries, but other people here
may say so now.

>> Obviously Norwegian readers would have been
>> much more interested in the Swedish and
>> Finnish names instead of some Japanese and
>> Arabic rubble they can't possibly understand
>> (pardon my language) a shit out of.
>
> RUBBLE?!?  I'm sorry, but no, I don't pardon
> your language (the 'sh*t' part was the least
> offencive).

Sorry, I didn't intend to be offensive. Please understand that is about some
two and a half decade old irritation coming up again for me.

> And actually, when I was a kid I would have
> been much more interested in getting the
> character's names in Japanese, Arabic or
> what have you 'rubble' language than in the
> Nordic languages.

OK, maybe kids in Sweden and Finland do learn to read strange alphabets,
signs, hireglyps, etc. Norwegian kids do not - to most Norwegian
non-European alphabets/signs thus look like rubble.

And for your information, Christina: the Greek, Japanese and Arab names was
*not* even written with latin letters in "Jeg Mikke Mus".

Sigvald :-)