17th of May/June 2005

Lars Jensen lpj at forfatter.dk
Wed May 21 19:23:38 CEST 2003

Sigvald wrote:

>> Let's get back to your initial suggestion,
>> Sigvald: That Don Rosa make a story devoted
>> to the celebration of May 17.
>
> I think you have misunderstood. 17th of may was only the name of the
> tread. My initial suggestion was a Lo$ tale taking place in Norway at
> the time of our indpendence - June 7th [1905].

OK. I still think, though, that having Don make a Lo$ chapter *solely*
because Norwegians want to celebrate their own country, is the wrong way
into a story. Why not let Don Rosa do his own things? And if one of his
future projects is an Lo$ chapter that happens to take place in Norway
on June 7th 1905 then it'll (presumably) be an enjoyable tale for the
rest of us with an added bonus for Norwegians!

>> Would a Chinese or a Bulgarian reader be
>> interested in a Norwegian-only event?
>
> Then I can ask - are Scandinavian readers interested in a Panama-only
> event? Aparently they are as Don Rosa's "The Sharpie of Culebra Cut"
> has been printed in our countries' weeklies.

Did Don make this story because the Panamanian publishers wanted him to
celebrate their country? Or because he had a story to tell? And is the
story an ad for Panama? Or is Panama used as a setting for a Duck story?

As for whether "The Sharpie of Culebra Cut" was about a Panama-only
event, Olaf Solstrand has already addressed that.

Sigvald, you also wrote:

>> Why not just do an ordinary event-free non-Lo$
>> story about Donald & co having an adventure
>> in Scandinavia?
>
> Yes, that's a good idea also - are you ready to do it?

If I had an idea and Egmont would buy it, then yes, I would do the
story. If Egmont asked me to write an ad for Scandinavia, celebrating an
event most non-Scandinavian readers couldn't relate to, I would be more
hesitant.

Lars