What IF

Søren Krarup Olesen sko at acoustics.dk
Fri May 23 20:10:06 CEST 2003

SIGVALD + SUK:

On Friday 23 May 2003 18:18, Someone U Know wrote:

> What if Don Rosa The duck Master wasn't An Engineer
> How his engineering Sense affected his Stories and His Art

Well, engineers (the worst of the kind ;-) have a sense for details
which sometimes takes over and leave out time for imagination and
fantasy.

Being an engineer myself, I am happy that most writers and artists are
not. What a boring world it would be, if only those who know about
Newton's 2nd etc. were writing stories.

When it comes to Disney comics, I find (if we must focus on education)
stories coming from e.g. the social science community, or for that
matter people we meet on the street, just about anybody not being
engineers much more attractive and facinating, that IMHO silly
engineering or mathematically based "factual" stories.

Perhaps, this is one of the reasons why I find LO$ so utterly boring. It
was written and presented as historical facts, and indeed it works and
is convincing. And then...after some time of consideration you realize
that it is only pseudo history and turn back to the true imaginative
stories like the Italian ones. Beware, I don't necessarily find Italian
more funnier or more thoughtful (well...hmmm :-) than Rosa, but at
least it's nice to feel and read those stories and silently conclude,
that they are not all based on some extremely strict recipe. No fanatic
true or false (just like in the real life).

Apparently you, Sigvald, fell for it. I can surely see why. Sorting
historical events into categories is both entertaining and helpful if
you wish to get an overview of a complex area--and Disney comics is
certainly one such.

Sigvald, your idea and conception of "foreign" alphabets really scares
me! Such opinions are extreme, so why not just admit it? It's okay,
this is a free and open minded mailing list...

Søren
(who doesn't really care what language or alphabeth as long as we can
get it into Inducks...well, that's for Stefan to figure out :-D