Off-Topic Forum

Rob Klein bi442 at lafn.org
Sun May 25 19:22:43 CEST 2003

Hi everyone. I got several positive responses to the idea of an adjunct "OFF-
TOPIC FORUM". They all feel it should be a Discussion Board, rather than an e-
mailed message list of subscribers.  For Daniel: I have a suggestion that might
alleviate your fears of missing out on some Disney discussion. We could have a
RULE that when the topics move back into Disney Comics, the author MUST move
the thread BACK TO DCML, by initiating a new posting. Unfortunately, I think
whoever is the Discussion Board's moderator, will likely not have enough time
to "monitor" the postings everyday to "enforce" that rule. On many boards,
rulebreakers are "banned" from the board, and their names under their original
registration are blocked from making posts. WE wouldn't need that. Any of OUR
members could be expected on the HONOUR SYSTEM to simply make a new post on
DCML to cover the new ON-Topic thread started on the OFF-Topic forum.

The reason why I WOULD NOT want to make the new discussion board totally
independent of DCML is that I and several other DCML members would NOT go over
to a new discussion board every day just TO SEE IF A FELLOW DCML MEMBER POSTED
AN OFF-TOPIC THREAD THAT WE MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN. The topics come out of
Disney Comics discussions. In addition, having the related "forum" be another
mailing list would not be good, as most of us are already very busy, and
probably wouldn't want ANOTHER bunch of mails coming every day.  The reason why
this wouldn't work is that we are ALL interested in Disney Comics, but we are
not likely to be interested in all or even most of the "OFF-Topic topics". Most
of us will probably be interested in only a selected few of them.

Those are the reasons why I HOPE that we can make a low maintenance,
adjunct "Discussion Board" where topics that will be only of interest to a few
members can be discussed, freeing the real DCML from being polluted by so much
off-topic content.  But yet this system would allow some members to pursue
these topics, directly, from their inspired inception, in an open discussion,
instead of limiting it to two people in a private e-mail. Such ideas would NOT
be generated WITHOUT a DCML topic already started.  THAT is why I wouldn't want
us (Off-Topic fans) to move to a completely independent location.

I have also sent this to Per. I understand that if such a set-up would be a lot
of extra work for him, that we probably shouldn't have it connected to DCML.
But, I am hopeful.  What do you all think?

Rob
Klein