AW: Evaluating Gladstone's luck

Cord Wiljes cord at wiljes.de
Sat May 31 14:37:43 CEST 2003

Kristian wrote:

> I would venture the guess that the most
> unbelievably lucky event happens to Gladstone in
> Barks' story about Hondorica: As I recall, Donald
> tears up a treasure map in twenty-odd pieces and
> throws it into the river. Whereupon the pieces
> rearrange themselves into a readable map a couple of
> hundred yards further down the river, where Gladstone
> is fishing.

Which is why this event (a map torn to pieces being reassembled in a
stream of water) led most of the German Donaldists to the conclusion
that the Second Law of Thermodynamics does not hold true for Stella
Anatium (=the world/dimension/time the ducks live in). This is not
necessarily valid though, because the second law in its statistical
interpretation does not rule out such an event but only states that it
is so very unlikely that it will practically never happen.

A torn map reassembling automatically means that the entropy of the
system is reduced (because the degree of order is higher afterwards).
This could only be done by sending energy into the system. So Gladstone
somehow has to emanate luck energy. Why not? after all he is avoiding to
spend too much of any other form of energy. Maybe he needs to collect
his luck energy? Being lucky would be hard work after all.

Cord