SV: Attention Danish Taliaferro fans

Olaf Solstrand olaf at andebyonline.com
Tue Nov 4 11:55:24 CET 2003

Quoting "Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr." <sigvald at duckburg.dk>:

> Assuming you have listed all the mentioned creators I must say that it
> gives
> me an *impression* of Danish chauvinism (the mentioning of Milton and
> Andersen) combined with a clear lack of respect for great modern non-Danish
> creators like Don Rosa, William Van Horn, Marco Rota and others.

Aren't EVERYBODY chauvinistic every now and then, Sigvald? I mean... take me
and you for example. Long before any of my stories were printed, you suggested
to this list that my stories should a) be printed by Gemstone and b) be
collected in own books. You wouldn't have suggested that if I was Polish or
Chinese.

Personally, I don't see any harm done in that article. As long as the old
squadron - people like Taliaferro and Barks - are presented, I think that's all
there's needed for such an article. I have no problem seeing that strong
national feeling makes them add to this article that e.g. Freddy Milton and
Flemming Andersen are making Disney comics today (note that I use the
word "national feeling", not "chauvinism". Also, please note the MAJOR
difference between nationalism and nazism). For an article following such a
series of strips, that's not really necessary, but it's nationalistic. And I
see no problem in being nationalistic. It's not necessary to mention e.g. Don
Rosa in such an article either, even though many agree he's the best Disney
comics creator there is today. An article about the development of Donald Duck
*needs* no mention of the greatest creators today, but everything always looks
better with a little nationalism.

But as I frankly think that's a silly little thing to argue about, I'll stop
now.

Best,
Olaf