Nor'easters in Duckburg

Kriton Kyrimis kyrimis at cti.gr
Mon Nov 10 08:32:41 CET 2003

KATIE:

> Barks wasn't going to let little
> things like geography and science stand in the way of a good
> story, was he?  ;)

Which shows how little respect he had for Carl B... um... well... oops!

I don't suppose that a sou'wester, apart from a raincoat, could also be some
kind of local wind where Barks lived, and that Barks made up nor'easter as a
funny opposite, unaware that there actually is such a wind in the northeast.
(According to http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/sou'wester one of the
meanings of sou'wester is "a strong wind from the southwest", so this just
might be possible!)

And a note to Sigvald: I wouldn't go around calling every little *possible*
mistake that someone makes a "goof", i.e., a stupid mistake. Plain "mistake"
is adequate enough. One might argue that the only "goof" that Barks made was
referring to the "government of Crete" in the philosopher's stone story, and
even there he just might be portraying his American characters' ignorance of
geography, a trait that is all too common with Americans, but rather
unexpected of someone like Barks, with his well-thumbed collection of National
Geographic.

	Kriton	(e-mail: kyrimis at cti.gr)
-----
"Never play with asteroids--they're what Murphy's law's all about!"
-----