Age of Rumpus McFowl

Olaf Solstrand olaf at andebyonline.com
Mon Nov 10 12:27:10 CET 2003

Good to see this discussion on DCML, Larry. I've been discussing this
everywhere for several years - as it's quite a long time since this story came
in Norway.

I also think we've already briefly discussed this at the DCML? Well, I'll
always love this discussion.

My personal opinion is that Rumpus is younger than Scrooge - but I think it
will be hard to fit him into the family tree shown in Life of Scrooge.

Once when discussing this in a Norwegian discussion board, someone suggested
that Fergus and Downy'd had a short divorce, where Rumpus were born. This
divorce was suggested to find place short time after Matilda were born - but
then, Fergus and Downy got back together again. That theory would make Rumpus a
little older than Hortense.

I think that's a complex solution. Seems more likely to me that Rumpus' mother
just made up this marriage to don't have to tell Rumpus he was an illegimate
child. :-) But then again... That would mean Fergus cheated on Downy. I don't
like that either.

And if Rumpus is born 20-30 years after Scrooge... Well, I don't see that
fitting into the Life of Scrooge either. After all... Rumpus' mother talks in a
very negative way about Scrooge, an annoying little rascal or something. I
don't think she would have talked of him like that if he was digging for gold
on the other side of the sea.

So I must say, I think it's hard to fit this into the Life of Scrooge. My guess
is that Rumpus was already developing in Van Horn's hear before Life of Scrooge
was written.

I haven't got last US yet, but I can't wait to finally see this story in
English.

As for how many Rumpus stories...

Unless I'm missing something, there's three more stories not yet published in
the States. These are "Ain't it the truth" (D 2000-045), "A Dime for your
thoughts" (D 2000-145) and "Full circle" (D 2001-056). What these stories have
in common is that there's nothing special about Rumpus - he's just the average
side character. These are not stories about Scrooge's and Rumpus' relationship -
 they're stories about just anything. "Ain't it the truth" is the story of when
Donald, Daisy, Gladstone, Donald's nephews and Rumpus go to a picnic - and
after a near accident, they all have different views on what really
happens. "Full circle" can be compared to Don Rosa's "The coin", where a golden
egg in an egg box passes from person to person in Duckburg - Rumpus being one
of them. "Full circle" is an encounter between Rumpus and Magica De Spell,
where Scrooge needs to have the Number One Dime cleaned and has Rumpus go to
the jeweler - because he thinks nobody will expect Rumpus carrying something
valuable.

Olaf