Age of Rumpus McFowl

Daniel J. Neyer jerryblake2 at juno.com
Mon Nov 10 15:36:56 CET 2003

It's funny, Larry, but I had reached the same conclusion as to Rumpus'
age and antecedents that you did. I see the old sponger as a good deal
younger than Scrooge, despite his bushy beard. It was very interesting to
see Van Horn pursue the relationship between the two revealed at the end
of "Secrets." BTW, "Travails", is the fourth Rumpus story printed in the
US--the character debuted in "It's All Relative", then clashed with
Scrooge for the first time in "Say Uncle." Then came "Secrets", in the
last Gladstone issue of UNCLE SCROOGE. And now, according to the editor's
column in US 322, Rumpus will be making his fifth appearance in 323, in a
story called "A Dime For Your Thoughts." I presume that one's already
been published in Europe? I can't get enough of Van Horn, and he's always
at his best when doing Rumpus, so I'll look forward to that one as well.