Brother, you aint kidding.

Arie Fachrisal cien2 at cbn.net.id
Thu Nov 13 18:17:04 CET 2003

Hi,
In some Barks stories, i read the expression i stated as subject above. As a
non-american, i probably put people who use "brother" expression into
stereotypes of Afro-American people. (No discrimnation intended, if i said
wrongly, it's because my english is not good enough that i might've
constructed my sentences poorly).

What i would like to ask is if this "Brother" expression was quite common
among most Americans or just the afro-american ones?

Hopefully the answer will put a light on my sterotype on the slang. (got it
from watching too many holywood movies)

I happen to remember that this expression (or perhaps slang) was also used
in a Taliaferro-drawn comic strip. it's a guy who's honking his car behind
DD's car and said something like "brother, im nervous and i gotta blow on
something" then DD stick a knife into his tire and said "Blow on that for a
while"

If this question might pose a potential discrimination issue, i apologize
and trust me when i say that that is not my intention. This's just my
curiosity.

Keep On Honking,
Arie Fachrisal who's fascinated by many of the oldies slangs.