Italian or not?

Olaf Solstrand olaf at andebyonline.com
Sun Nov 16 19:57:37 CET 2003

Quoting Katie Sullivan <vazali at yahoo.com>:

> I always assumed that Magica was Italian.  I've never read
> anything that leads me to believe otherwise--her "Boris and
> Natasha" accent on DuckTales notwithstanding.  If Barks had
> intended her to be any other nationality I imagine he would have
> said so.

Of course... Unless he had intended her to be American. However:

> The ducks refer to her as "that Italian witch,"

They do?

> and she uses Italian phrases occasionally ("Buon giorno," etc.)

She does?

> She also has dark hair, which, granted, isn't always a
> perfect indicator in real life, but in cartoons Italian
> characters pretty much always have black hair.

They do?

Well, then I guess there's no doubt about it.

Can't remember ever reading about "that Italian witch" in my Norwegian comics,
and I have most certainly never seen any Italian phrases, but I guess that's
because of the translators, then.

Thanks, Katie.

Olaf