DCML Digest Issue 44

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Sun Nov 23 13:52:22 CET 2003

> From: "Hoy Murphy" <hoymurphy at charter.net>
> Subject: Don Rosa at Mid-Ohio Con
> Don, will you have any of your prints for sale this year, and will one of
> them feature the Three Caballeros?  That's been my favorite comic
> book story
> of any I've read this year (and I read a lot!), so I'd like to be able to
> get a print if you will have one available.

No, sorry, I don't have any prints of published art. The only thing I make
prints of are things I've done for friends or special reasons that no one
would have seen anywhere, f'rinstance the comic cover parodies that I do for
occasions like the annual AACC banquet. About half of the prints are such
parodies of DC or Marvel or EC or other comic covers (with Ducks).
When I stopped doing drawings at American conventions and decided to see if
anyone would want prints of these cover parodies that I had keep copies of
in my files, I thought fans would go wild over them. They really *are*
pretty funny and I enjoy doing them and put a *lot* of work into them to
make them *exact* duplicates of the original cover layouts. But strangely,
while they attract lots of attention (since they make a very colorful
display of dozens of large full-color prints) not many people are interested
in having copies. And I think the reason is how the American market has
developed. I do these because I am a Barks fan *and* a collector of all
other old American comics. But I am one of the exceptions. I think the
American comic collectors recognize the famous old covers I'm parodying and
think they're funny... but they don't understand why Donald Duck is in the
scene. And generally speaking, the Duck/Barks fans recognize the Ducks, but
they don't recognize the classic old comic covers and therefore don't
understand the joke.