No place like home

Daniel J. Neyer jerryblake2 at juno.com
Fri Oct 3 16:59:27 CEST 2003

I've been speculating as to the actual "living quarters" of each of the
principal Disney characters. Mickey and Donald each own their own house,
as shown in many stories (unless Donald rents his from Uncle Scrooge),
and the same is true of Minnie, Daisy, Horace, Clarabelle, and Goofy. But
how about Gladstone? Barks has shown him as living next to Donald (in RED
APPLE SAP) as have Ron Fernadez and Pat Block (in TOO LATE FOR
CHRISTMAS), and Michael Gilbert's recent PARTY OF NONE also gives him a
definite address. Can anyone think of a story that shows Gladstone as
having no permanent address?

Grandma, of course, has her farm, but where does Scrooge live? DUCKTALES
gave him a mansion, as did CHRISTMAS ON BEAR MOUNTAIN, but I've seen at
least one Tony Strobl story that shows him as living in the Money Bin.
Did Barks ever specify where Scrooge lived? In the story where Scrooge
tries to trick Donald and Jones into tearing down their houses in the
search for "Old Man Fox's" money, the nephews retaliate by letting Donald
and Jones think that the money is hidden in Scrooge's house. Is this the
only instance of Barks showing an away-from-the-bin residence for
Scrooge?