Question about Brigitta Macbridge

Francesco Spreafico frspreaf at tin.it
Sat Oct 4 20:35:23 CEST 2003

jadorno at jjay.cuny.edu wrote:

>         I find Brigitta Macbridge puzzling. What is her relationship
> with Scrooge all about. It comes off as a kind of love/fear thing.
> He (Scrooge) sees her as a goldigger and does not trust her, yet his
> nephews are sympathetic towards her and help her in her schemes to
> be Scrooge's would-be girlfriend. How far did Scarpa go in
> developing her character? I've only read the three stories that
> Gladstone+ Gemstone have printed.

You're right, he generally treats so as if she was a "goldigger", but deep
inside he knows well that she's not. And so do his nephews, especially HDL
that often (as it happens in many S-coded stories line "The One-Million
Chase" in the latest Gemstone US issue) hang around with her and help her
get to Scrooge.

About the development... well, actually, of course, nothing really changes,
because nothing CAN change it being a Disney comic (you can't see Scrooge
and Brigitta get married (*)), but generally you can see that often she
teams up with Jubal Pomp (or Jubal Cock, whatever he's called in the US) to
create some kind of business against Scrooge... but generally her purpose
remains to show him that she's good at business just as he is (While Jubal
actually thinks to be the greatest businessman who ever lived)

(*) Actually they DID get married once, or almost ;-) in a story by Massimo
De Vita though, not by Scarpa... but I guess it's the best non-Scarpa
Brigitta story ever written.

--
Francesco
http://www.dimensionedelta.net/scarpa/