Where does Scrooge sleep? / Barks' Junior Woodchucks stories

Frank Bubacz frankbubacz at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 7 15:51:01 CEST 2003

Nils:

>Why do we never see how Scrooge spends his nights, anyway?

I guess it's just not a very exciting sight...

>Is there a policy that this should be left to the reader's imagination?

. and that's probably why my imagination isn't very intrigued by the
thought of it. Let's face it: Scrooge uses the night for SLEEPING.  ;-)

Katie:

>See Rosa's "Dream of a Lifetime" and "Island at the Edge of
>Time" for panels showing Scrooge asleep in bed.

Even the "godfather of the canon", Carl Barks, depicted Scrooge in bed.
"Invisible Intruder" comes to my mind (not his script, though), as well as
"Pixilated Parrot". There are also two or three one-pagers, I believe.

Matthew:

>Being painfully frank, though, Barks's Woodchuck scripts hardly seem a cut
>above Western's other seventies scripts.

I have to agree with you. I don't know all of these stories (yet), but the
ones I know are rather weak. If people didn't know that they are based on
Barks' scripts/storyboards, I'm sure nobody would care about them and they
would have long been forgotten. Same is true for the last comic he did in
its entirety (story/drawings): the very weak "Cattle King". It re-cycles at
least three former Barks stories without ever coming even close to them.
When you read this story, you just feel that he could hardly await his
retirement. The drawings look tired as well.

Frank