DCML Digest Issue 19

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Wed Oct 8 07:26:17 CEST 2003

> From: rodney-selfhelpbikeco at juno.com
> Subject: Re: Don Rosa at Mid-Ohio Comic Con
> I live about 90 miles from this convention.  Is it worth going
> to?  Obviously, I'd love to see Don, but I don't even know what
> he'll be doing there (drawing?  chatting?  sitting on panels?)

I'll just be signing and doing free head drawings. I stopped doing the
lavish full-color drawings that I used to do for folks at American comic
shows for $30-$40 each... when I started with eBay I saw that some of them
were being immediately put on there and fetching the phony fans who bought
them $400-$700 each! I can't let people use me like that! Even now, I must
insist on putting dedications on the free drawings... several of the
freebies I did at the Gemstone booth in San Diego were on eBay within days
fetching $60 apiece. Wotta country.

> and I'm not sure what else there is to do at a comic convention.
> I don't have much money for rare, old comics these days, but I'd
> like to pick up some more common back issues from the 80's-90's
> that I'm missing.  Will I find them there?

There's no way I can answer that question! There will be lots of comics
there and lots of comic writers or artists ranging from famous to virtually
unknown (in America I fall into the lower end of that spectrum) and a number
of minor or "has-been" TV personalities signing photos. Naturally dealers
will generally only bring the better-selling comics to shows due to space
limitations of their vehicles or booths. If you're looking for 80's-90's
Disney comics, there will be few of those at the show since there are few
buyers for them. There might be a lot of 80's-90's violent-superhero comics
on hand. But I obviously can't even predict any of that with any certainty.
Go look at the MidOhioCon website to see what they say about themselves,
then decide for yourself.