Birthdays

Gary Leach bangfish at comcast.net
Sat Oct 18 16:42:36 CEST 2003

We celebrate anniversaries because we are fascinated with the counting
game - we like to have a sense of how long something/someone has been
around. And in the case of Mickey, Donald, Scrooge, and all their
fictional colleagues, we like to think that, having been around so
long, they're significant, they're important, they really do matter.

And do they? To us, yeah, of course. Silly question. But then, when do
we say that Uncle Scrooge, for instance, was born? That's easy: on the
publication of "Christmas on Bear Mountain." Why is that easy? Because
prior to that Scrooge was a conception, nothing more - he had not yet
fully emerged from the creative process. And make no mistake, the
creative process that resulted in Scrooge gives "birth" on one
occasion, and one occasion only - the date of publication. At any point
prior to that Scrooge could have vanished and not one of us would have
ever been the wiser. Even Barks would have probably forgotten he ever
had such a notion.

Gary