DCML Digest, Vol 8, Issue 41

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Mon Oct 20 21:01:15 CEST 2003

> From: <H.W.Fluks at telecom.tno.nl>
> Subject: Make big money (no, this is not a spam mail)
> I don't see why you think such a word joke would work in any
> language. Why would "manufacture a large banknote" mean the same
> as "earn a lot of money" in any language other than English (and Italian)?

Because in English "make" has many meanings other than simply "manufacture".
It is synonymous with "earn". I knew that might not be true in other
languages, and that's why I was asking you.

> Even more likely, the translator was never told to translate that
> text, because the Egmont whiteners removed it.

No, there never was any text in that art. You surely know that I cannot put
any text in my art which I am doing for an international publisher. The text
was in the script which is sent to all publishers with a numbered reference
pertaining to that magazine back cover.