Treasure of Marco Polo: "Duckburgian Citizen"

Daniel J. Neyer jerryblake2 at juno.com
Wed Oct 22 18:26:06 CEST 2003

>In a later Barks story, "Treasure of Marco Polo (US64)", Barks seems to
>consider Duckburg an independent country!  On Page 6, panel 6, Scrooge
>says "But I'm a Duckburgian citizen!"  And on page 9, panel 2, he says
>"There's the Duckburgian embassy!  I'm going in and demand protection!"
>Indeed, the flag on this building has a duck on an otherwise blank
field; it's
>not a USA flag.  Are there other Barks stories where the ducks are not
>considered USA citizens?  I was quite perturbed to see Scrooge
proclaiming
>himself a Duckburgian citizen in this story.

>From what I've heard from other list members about the changes that
Disney Studios ordered in TREASURE OF MARCO POLO, I think it possible
that "Duckburgian citizen" and "Duckburgian Embassy" were substituted for
"American citizen" and "American Embassy" as part of the Studios' attempt
to remove all similarities between the story and the Vietnam war. Just a
guess, but it seems probable.