Dime and Dime Again

Daniel J. Neyer jerryblake2 at juno.com
Fri Sep 12 15:21:39 CEST 2003

I just picked up Uncle Scrooge 321, and I must say this Blum story was an
improvement over World Wide Witch, in that it had an actual plot that
didn't depend on modern technology and fads (credit for this should go to
Barks, rather than Blum, I guess). Blum still threw in a few too many
90's references for my taste ("exhibitionists", "cd-rom", "cultural
history", and characters named Ramon and Angel), but the story overall
was enjoyable. I was also interested by Blum's use of Blackheart
"Grandpa" Beagle. Barks, not Rosa, actually created Grandpa, and used him
twice--in THE FANTASTIC RIVER RACE and THE MONEY WELL. Would DIME AND
DIME AGAIN have been Barks' third use of his character, or did Blum add
him in? It would be interesting to find out.