"Skunk Oil Factory", not "Margarine Factory"

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Sun Sep 14 14:33:02 CEST 2003

LARRY GIVER, 13-09-2003:

> I got the new Gemstone US321, which has a DD story, "Willing Little
> Helpers". The dialogue is credited to Gary Leach, so I suppose than
> means he did the final translating into Americanese.  I noticed on
> page 2, panel 3 that Donald says he worked all day at the margarine
> factory.  Gary Leach should know that Duckburg, Calisota, USA has
> no margarine factory; instead Donald often works at the "skunk oil
> factory", as originated by Barks long ago.

The skunk oil factory is taken from the tv audition ambition story
(WDC 165). It's the only one reference I can remember. However, I don't
see any reason why this small reference should mean that there's no
margarine factory in Duckburg. Also, I don't see any reason why a Barks
story should rule out possibilities in a story by other creators.

> Maybe some wonder what use is skunk oil?  I think Scrooge could use
> some in spray cans, like mace, to use in his money bin defence system.

In panel 3.6 of the wispie will-o-the-wisp story (WDC 159), Scrooge
wants to ruin Donald's house by using skunk oil.

BTW. In this story, Scrooge uses rats to manipulate Donald. This is
a reversal situation compared to "A Christmas to Shacktown" (OS 367),
where Donald uses a rat to manipulate Scrooge.

--- Daniël

"Please, please, mister McDuck! Don't take my washing machine!
I need it to support my husband and three son-in-laws!"
(Which Barks story?)