AW: The origin of Uncle Scrooge

Cord Wiljes cord at wiljes.de
Fri Sep 19 14:29:11 CEST 2003

DANIËL:
> "I've always thought that the looks of [THE SPIRIT OF '43's]
> Scrooge-like character would have prevented Barks from
> getting a copyright on Scrooge."

David
> You seem to be suggesting that Carl Barks would have
> liked ownership of Scrooge for himself. Have you ever read
> anything about his actual opinions on the subject?

I understood Daniel's comment as an analogy: If Barks had wanted
to copyright Scrooge (which he did not and could not due to his
contract with Western and the similarity to the Disney ducks in
general) he would have run into the problem that a character already
existed which was _very_ similar to his Scrooge McDuck, namely the
duck from Disney's "Spirit of 43s".

Cord