DCML Digest, Vol 7, Issue 39

Gary Leach bangfish at comcast.net
Sat Sep 20 16:29:18 CEST 2003

Derek wrote:

> The sales for August have come in. Not sure what to make of them.
> While they
> don't  make up all sales or reorders, there does seem a perceptible
> decline in
> sales each month.
>
> 195. Uncle Scrooge #321  6,488
>
> 203. Walt Disney's Comics and Stories #636  5,929

First of all, these figures are cited as estimates, which is all well
and good, but I can say definitively that they are low. Moreover, based
on the order levels Diamond actually received, US #321 and WDCS #636
sold better by a fair margin than US #320 and WDCS #636 - though
slightly down from the figures for US #319 and WDCS #634. In short, the
prestige books are doing nicely...not that we don't want them to do
better.

As for DDA #1, it did very well in the direct market. Better than we
expected. The bookstore market has been hesitant, though, and getting
into the Wal-Marts and the like has proven to be a complicated
business. No question more work lies ahead in those areas.

Gary