Favourite disney artist

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Tue Sep 23 03:08:47 CEST 2003

JOSEF THORNBERG, 19-09-2003:

> I noticed that some people semed to get uppset by my letter
> "whos best",i didnt want to say that anyone of those is bad,
> i just wandered whos YOUR favorite disney artist,maybe i said
> it in a wrong way,

My most favourite Disney artist is Carl Barks. What I like the most
about him, is that he created a parody/model of real life by using
archetypes and common sitautions. Wealth, luck, love, struggling,
responsibility, guilt, unfairness, etc. etc. That makes his stories
not only amusing, but also helpful in trying to comprehend real life
and real people.

Here is one of my favourite Barks quotes. I think it perfectly
describes my main reason for liking Barks's world and stories so
much:

"The thing that is most important about my comics is this: I told it
like it is. I told the kids that the bad guys have a little bit of
good in them, and the good guys have a lot of bad in them, and that
you just couldn't depend on anything much, that nothing was going to
always turn out roses. In fact I laid it right on the line that
there was no difference between my comic characters and the life
these kids - the readers - were going to have to face. So when
Donald had some adventures, and he got buffeted around, I tried to
put it over in a way that the kids - the readers - could see, well,
that could happen to them. It was the way life goes. I just didn't
disguise anything or make things look rosy."

Source: Donald Ault - Carl Barks Conversations, page 44
(Interview with Barks by Donald Ault, 29 May 1973.)

I could go on for hours, explaining reasons why Barks is my most
favourite Disney artist. This email is just a short version. I have
to force myself to stop here. Otherwise, I'll end up writing the
longest DCML-email ever. :-)

What is your favourite artist, Josef?

--- Daniël