Correspondence and history - replying to Don Rosa

Kai Saarto ksaarto at mbnet.fi
Thu Sep 25 18:53:16 CEST 2003

Mike Rhode wrote:

>Kai, thank you for your thoughtful and measured
>response.  I'll just respond to a few points to
>clarify my original comments although I think we're
>roughly in agreement.

Yes, we are. I too was thinking about the "post-mortem" sharing of the
Barks-Rosa letters. Since I'd like Don to sticks around for another
fifty year or so, I didn't bring the subject up... :-)

>Right.  Plenty of correspondence is donated and sealed
>for a set period of time.  It's pretty standard.  I'm
>sure the UKy archives would be willing to advise Don
>if he was interested in this idea.

Yeah, probably.

>I'm also not a big fan of the cult of celebrity that
>the mass media has brought to us, but I think since
>Pepys diaries are usually kept w/ an eye towards
>eventual use.

Sure, many diaries are like that. Letters usually aren't. Still, IMO its
perfectly okay and even appropriate to use this kind of material when it
sheds light to some public/political event. I just can't see how the
personal love letters or things like that could be seen as public
domain, if the writers didn't intend it that way.

I think archivists are doing an important job, and I wish I could find
the time roam through one some day. Its great that some people donate
things to archives. I wish Disney had donated all those lost originals
somewhere instead of burning or dumping them (or whatever they did).

Don Rosa wrote:

>When I said I felt "soiled" it was because *all* of my private mail to and
>from Barks, messages that were very special to me, was exposed to *certain
>specific parties* without my knowledge or permission. That was one of the
>worst feelings in my gut I've ever had.

Ah, yes. Sorry if it sounded like I distorted what you said. I merely
stole the term "soiled" and used in my own context. Just sounded
appropriate for how I'd feel if everyone could see my old love letters
to mrs. :-)

>(Sorry, Mr. President -- I meant "nucular".)

Somehow this reminds me of how you used to write about certain Bill
Stanbury way back. I wonder how CK would have handled Mr. Bush junior.

Theresa Wiegert wrote:

>Still - the greatest work someone can do, is to spread
>happiness, knowledge, and inspiration, creating circumstances people
>can act on, by own choice, to perhaps do the same. This can be done in
>small scale, or somewhat larger, but never feel bad about doing something
>that is right. I e what makes you happy...

Once again, you wrote beautifully, Theresa.  Everyone is responsible
only for his/her own life (and family).

--
- Kai Saarto
http://www.go.to/donrosa