That Dam Puzzle...

danshane@bellsouth.net danshane at bellsouth.net
Sun Sep 28 14:55:39 CEST 2003

DON ROSA WROTE:

> Why do you see that as a good example? They were aiming at the dam, not
> $crooge. If $crooge wanted to preserve life and limb, all he had to do was
> get off the dam. A millionaire Duck's place is in the Bin, not by a dam
> site. (Don't try to figure out that incredibly obscure movie reference. If
> anyone does, I'll do them a free drawing. Dan Shane not eligible!) Nothing
> in that story shows any personal animosity against $crooge's well-being.

AND I RESPOND:

Do I at least get a cute little bandage for knowing the answer?

DON GOES ON:

> Huh? No, she doesn't want a coin that $crooge or some other wealthy person
> has simply touched. Barks' original story said she wants a coin that a very
> wealthy man has handled *a lot*.

AND I PONDER:

It's been a while since I read the story, but I seem to recall that Magica wanted a collection of coins from a number of wealthy folk, pinning her hopes on the collective power of all those coins melted together.  $crooge's practice of having the coin on him at all times changed her focus to just that one object of desire, obscuring her original vision and goal forever.

DAN