Rosa's own li'l Universe

Kai Saarto ksaarto at mbnet.fi
Fri Apr 2 19:22:29 CEST 2004

Matthew Williams wrote:

>The point I want to make here is that even if Rosa wants to confine his
>ideas and character developments to his own universe, his fans are largely
>not willing to do the same.  Heck, his ideas about Ludwig Von Drake haven't
>even been put into a comic, but many, many fans accept the idea as duck fact
>(pardon the silly word choice).  I'm amazed by the number of websites I've
>seen that describe Ludwig as Scrooge's brother-in-law.

I think that Don's ideas about Ludvig have been seen almost nowhere.
They are not featured even in the family-tree Don made.  Actually I
think that the idea of Ludvig being Scrooge's brother-in-law goes much
farther. Donald has called Ludvig "uncle" for decades at least in
Finnish Aku Ankka (probably in most Egmont countries). Since Ludvig
doesn't seem to be Scrooge's brother, its a good assumption to make him
to be related in some other way. I remember Don making a joke about
Daisy being actually a man (H,D&L's long lost father in fact)... I guess
someone could also take this to be canon, since Don said it...  :-)

>What I originally loved about Rosa's work was that he brought stricter
>continuity to the ducks.  Almost twenty years later, I'm not 100% happy that
>parts of the duck world have permanently changed.  I'm not seething with
>rage.  The ducks affect my daily, "real," life little, but I've been a fan
>all of my life, and I dislike some of the ways the characters and storylines
>have been closed or changed forever.  I wonder now if a certain lack of
>continuity or at least the loose continuity that Barks worked under might be
>preferable to all of this nailing down of dates and "facts" that this group
>and Rosa's stories often engage in.

I understand your point and even agree with them to some extent. Still,
if some of Don's stories are considered as canon by some fans it just
tells that there are  people who want to embrace some extra continuity.
So they are spreading their views around. It's not like Don is telling
them that this is the only right canon and the work of other creators
should be ignored. Since duck-comics are made by hundreds of people
around the globe, it is unavoidable that there are different
interpretations. This seems to be a concept that many fans seem to
ignore and tell other people that duck-universe has been somehow
wronged. I wonder why some people just can´t embrace the fact that there
are as many duck-universes that there are creators? I grew up with these
stories as probably most you did too, its never been a problem to me to
realize that there are different duck realities. Italian stories for
example make a very different interpretations of the characters, but at
least I can read them in their own context without worrying if they
agree or disagree with stories by Barks, Rosa or Van Horn.

I guess any writer could make a different interpretation of characters
or storylines and not in any way be hindered by the fact that Don or
some one else has done something with them in the past. At least this
should be so. Has Egmont officially closed down some storylines because
of Don? Sounds crazy. I for one would love to see other people using
Glittering Goldie or Arpin Lusene in their stories. Different
interpretations (I should check the dictionary for a synonym, since I
seem to love this word today) are the salt of the comic industry.

I doubt anyone likes *every* story by their favorite artist/writer. One
have to learn to just ignore those stories as parts of his/her own
personal view of  duck-universe/-canon.

Sorry, if I babbled inconsistently. Your message was well put and it
just inspired me to think things a bit further than I did in my reply to
Daniel. Maybe one day I can sum it up in coherent, short way.