DCML Digest Issue 4

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Sat Apr 3 06:59:43 CEST 2004

> From: "Lunnan & Hjort" <brit.lunnan at chello.no>
> Subject: the Hall of Fame watch
> On this occasion I'm NOT drawing your attention to
> the excellently informative preface by Xystein Sxrensen
> (professor of history at the University of Oslo) nor to the
> Don Rosa bigsized poster of the Money Bin and the Beagle
> Boys

But *I'll* draw your attention to that poster (which, as you might recall,
is the work of ML member Dan Shane with my kibitzing). They produced this
item without our knowledge -- if they had let us know about it, we would
have supplied them with the proper single sheet blueprint of the Bin plans
which is shaped more like an actual "landscape"-shaped blueprint page, but
which also contains several additional diagrams such as the office trapdoor,
the money shower and others. Too bad......

> (and not even to the DR stories themselves). No,
> I'm not. But, rather, to the accompanying free watch,
> with Donald Duck etc.,
> My question is: From where, precisely, is this Donald
> drawing? Is it "direct from an original drawing", or has
> it been doctored a little?

I haven't yet received my own "Don Rosa Donald Duck" watch... but are you
saying that the promo ads don't explain the uniqueness of that Duck on the
watch face? When I first saw the ads, even I was puzzled as to why they
chose such a BAD drawing of Donald to put on the watch (this was another
item that was produced without my knowledge), but then I realized what it
was, though they've wasted their effort if their promo ads don't explain
it...
The Rosa "Hall of Fame" volume is apparently a bit different from the future
HoF books which will, so I am told, produce the best work of various
artists. The Rosa HoF is the first volume in a chronological collection of
every Duck story I've done, like the Barks Library on a small scale. So, in
that spirit, the Donald on that watch is the *first* Donald I ever drew
(professionally) -- it's the Donald lifted off the first panel of my first
story "The Son of the Sun". But without telling anyone this "secret",
instead of buyers of the book thinking "ah, this is cute -- they sent a
watch with Don Rosa's very first Donald Duck on it", they will think "Why
did they send me this watch with this really weird looking Donald Duck on
it?"
I haven't compared the watch to the story, but you can do so now that you
know it's source and see if it's been doctored a little (though to make it
look less weird would sorta defeat its "historical significance", for what
that's worth).