Big artists and plain nuts (Rosa's own li'l Universe)

Kai Saarto ksaarto at mbnet.fi
Sat Apr 3 17:34:09 CEST 2004

Daniel van Eijmeren wrote:

>Just name three Disney artists who do that so heavily and structurally
>as Don Rosa, complete with interpolated dates and facts. I can't think
>of any.

[...]

>*Hundreds* of authors re-using Barks elements like Rosa does?
>I want to hear names.

Everyone uses characters made by Barks and many recycle basic plot ideas
(Donald as a master in some field, etc.). In your opinion, Don obviously
crosses some invisible line somewhere when compared to everyone else.
Are the dates and references to earlier stories what bug you? Those are
probably some of the very reasons why Don is so popular and has more
fans than probably any living duck-artist/writer. I can't say that you
are wrong, because you are of course granted to have a different opinion.

>Why does a person need to be "resentful" or full of "envy" if he thinks
>that Rosa is raping the Barks universe? I really don't get that point.

Okay, I think now you said clearly what you think: "Rosa is raping the
Barks universe". I'm sorry, but that does sound resentful to me. Its
quite a nasty thing to say to someone of their life's work. I'm in fact
a bit shocked. Obviously you have frighteningly strong opinions on this
subject. Maybe you should be more careful about them?  You'll get no
sympathy to your cause by making such comments.

>People who think that Rosa is a bad writer and/or bad artist have "mental
>problems" by default? Is that the point?

Of course not. You could just say that you don't like Rosa's style of
giving dates or whatnot because it doesn't fit your vision of duckiverse
[I just came up with that word, you are all free to use it :-)]. But why
on earth do you have to state your opinions in such a rude way? Can't
you just ignore messages and stories that don't fit to your personal views?

>Well, I know at least two popular Disney Duck artists who have very strong
>feelings about Rosa's attitude to the Disney universe and Barks's in
>particular. I've personally witnessed them saying that. Are these artists
>plain nuts? Why? Because they dislike Rosa's work?

If they became fanatic about it, I might call them nuts. I haven't seen
anyone else besides you accusing Don of raping Barks universe.

>BTW. I think that anyone who calls someone else crazy, should know that if
>you point at someone else, three of your fingers point back at you. (Except
>when you're a Disney character, then only two of your fingers point back.)

I'd call anyone who's a fanatic of any kind crazy. I haven't heard that
finger pointing thing before, thanks for that. In this case all my
fingers were pointing on my monitor, not to you or me.