Odds and ends of topics

Katie Sullivan vazali at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 3 21:18:16 CEST 2004

Dan S. wrote:
> Guess what?  Davy Crockett is dead.  Robin Hood is dead.  King
> Arthur, Guinevere, and Lancelot have all passed off this
> mortal coil.  And somehow I still manage to enjoy reading
> stories about them.

So true!  I enjoy Shakespeare.  He's dead.  Most of his
characters die within the plays themselves!  LOL!

> From: "Matthew Williams" <kingofduckburg at apptechnc.net>
> Perhaps we all suffer from some mental
> deficiency that
> leads us to spending a substantial amount of time debating and
> speculating
> about ducks on the web.

LOL!  Clearly, we do.
But wait...unless some duck lost his legs in a horrific accident
aren't all ducks "on the web"?  ;)

> I'm happy with the thoughtful comments posted by Kai Saarto,
> Katie Sullivan
> (I'm so sorry about your grandmother), Chris Hilbig, and
> others.

Thank you!

> Concerning Katie's comments about Goldie: even if he had
> intended to reveal
> more, I'm glad that Barks was limited by his editors.  "Back
> to the
>  Klondike" is fascinating for how many questions it leaves
> unanswered and
> for how much Barks implies but doesn't say directly.

I actually agree with you there.  The open room for
interpretation is what makes "BttK" a great story.  Or, at
least, one of the many factors.

>  I initially enjoyed
> "Hearts of the Yukon" and Rosa's more recent references to
> Goldie in "The
> Coin and "The Beagle Boys Vs. the Money Bin," but I think
> these revisionist
> approaches to Barks' work have an ultimate, cumulative
> demystifying effect.
> The Goldie plot becomes a lot more ordinary and familiar.

And there we disagree, but that's okay.  ;)

> I do believe Rosa is a top-notch writer.  "The Empire-Builder
> from Calisota"
> is one of the best Disney comics ever created.  The story
> isn't great
> because of the references to Barks, though.  What makes it
> great is the
> characterization: Hortense and Matilda's reaction to the moral
> collapse of
> their brother, Scrooge's own complex reaction to his
> wrongdoing.  I love the
> drama and palate of emotions Rosa brings to this story and
> several others.

Yes, absolutely.  It's that depth of character emotion and
development that I was referring to (a bit awkwardly) in my last
post.

> I think this forum is often a place where it
> is very
> difficult to say anything about Rosa besides "Isn't 'Letter
> from Home'
> great?  What are the scientific principles behind glorping?"

LOL!  Darn, there goes my next thesis paper...  I had a great
theory about the metaphysical subspace aspects of glorping, too!
 Heehee...

> Did you have to correct
> his spelling
> and definition of prima donna

I pointed it out, too, simply because it amused me so much.  ;)

Steven R. wrote:
> a couple weeks ago, i emailed Gemstone complaining about those
> sword and
> sorcery fantasy Mickey Mouse stories.  I dislike them
> intensely - and I dont read
> them.

I rarely read Mickey stories at all.  I simply have never found
him as interesting as my ducks.  ("Gasp!  Heretic!")  ;)

Katie Sullivan
http://www.sullivanet.com/