Universes and Barks

Ari Seppi ari.seppi at iki.fi
Tue Apr 6 01:31:14 CEST 2004

Kai:
>This makes me think about something. Has anyone EVER done here anything
>else but praised Barks? Everyone else seems to get some criticism here
>from time to time. Is he so big he's untouchable? I am not about to say
>that he is not the best ever,  but it just hit me that everyone on the
>planet seems to love him.

Certainly not everyone on the planet, just everybody on this list. :-)

When browsing non-comics-related discussion forums there are "Barks vs.
Rosa" discussions, where many people think that Rosa is far better duck
artist than Barks, and some of them dislike Barks. Here are some quotes
from one such discussion:

"I'm irritated by recycling of the same ideas and plots in Barks stories.
Barks has used the same gags many times in many stories. Some of his plots
are almost identical. In addition in the 60s the quality of Barks' art took
a turn for worse and frankly his latest ducks look pretty awful."

"I don't like Barks' art and to be honest I don't like his scripts either."

--
Ari Seppi (ari.seppi at iki.fi)
http://www.iki.fi/mani/