Barks's November 31, 1990 letter to Rosa

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Tue Apr 6 21:00:03 CEST 2004

As a reply to a very offensive contribution full of plain fantasies, here
are the contents of a private Barks letter to Rosa, as it was published in
Gladstone's 'Isle Of Golden Geese' album 'Uncle $crooge Adventures 42'.

I want to underscore that Barks didn't know about any internet discussions
like ours when he wrote this letter. This mailing list didn't even exist at
that very different, almost computer-less time, in 1990.

Hopefully, most (all?) people here will just read and *enjoy* this
contribution, without thinking of bickering. (Please!)

--- Daniël

November 31 1990

Dear Don:
   I have read your sequel story of the "Crown of Genghis Khan" cum
"Tralla La" ["Return to Xanadu," US 261 and 262] and had to dig out the
original stories of both tales to see where you had made the hook-ups,
it being many years since I read either of those opuses. Well, you did
a *sequel*, there's no doubt about that, and in the process you invented
so many new situations that the old tales are hardly needed as a
springboard. Congratulations.
   Best of all, you kept the cast of characters limited to the ducks and
the original Trallalains without cannibalizing other stories by bringing
in Glomgold, the Beagle Boys, and other ilk.
   I do have a criticism, however. Your handling of Uncle Scrooge makes
him come across as a snarling, pushy old looter every bit as bad as the
Scrooge pictured in the Chilean commie propaganda publication *How to Read
Donald Duck*. You stressed right out the similarity between him and Kublai
Khan. I hope that isn't the way you view him personally.
   Anyway, it's good you have a market going with Gutenberghus. They will
no doubt have excellent translators and colorists, and their checks don't
bounce. You *earn* those checks with the rich embellishment you lavish on
your drawings.
   I doubt that they will expect you to specialize indefinitely on sequels
to my old stories. After all, my plots only took the ducks to the politically
safe areas of the world. Since the decay of communism there's all of Russia
and Siberia and China to use for locales.
   Writers can now concoct *new* adventures for the ducks on such as the old
silk road from Cathay. There can be forays into Siberia to hunt mammoth's
ivory. Imagine the ducks finding a herd of frozen mammoths whose feeding
ground had been so rich in minerals their tusks had become more *gold* than
ivory. Maybe the ducks could take a frozen mammoth home to Duckburg for
exhibition in a block of clear ice. Uncle Scrooge squabbles with the power
company over the size of the refrigeration bill, and the mammoth thaws out
*alive*.
   Southeast Asia is opening up a little, too. Indiana Jones didn't loot
the *only* temple in that treasure-infested region. My shopworn old menaces
can be replaced by such as Bengal tigers, rogue elephants, and duck-drowning
monsoons.
   If any of the above inspires you to start writing, please feel welcome to
use any of it. It's from such seeds of ideas that I used to build my stories.
Man! am I grateful that I no longer have to write and draw the darned things!

Goodluck.
Carl

(c) Carl Barks