SV: No offense! (OT)

Martin S. Thoresen mindlink at netcom.no
Wed Apr 7 09:47:24 CEST 2004

Daniël wrote:
> Just a question, as a short general reply, about the people and
> friends who are now personally patting each other on the back:
>
> Is there EVER *someone* here who ever sees how much *I* get offended?
>
> I'm just trying to discuss Disney comics and artists!
> What is so wrong about that???
>
> --- Daniël (has feelings, too!)

You see, the thing is (and this coming from an "outsider", giving me the
elated
status of Impartial Observer..), you might have come across as a bit
unclear on that point.
It seemed to me you were more interested in discussing the personal
motives behind the Disney artists and whether or not these were "right",
rather than the outcome of these said artists.
Also, I really couldn't comprehend What excactly you were critizing either.
Are you really unsatisfied with Rosa stories Because they are Not
incosistent?
Had there been more plot-holes and lack of plausible logic they would have
been better? Otherwise, most stories by an author are consistent with each
other, that just shows that the artist bothered. (And this is perhaps the
most
negative comment I have on Barks, although I loove his stories&art, the fact
that he himself didn't bother with greater consistency.)
And it couldn't be your claim that Rosa is "raping" the work of Barks, as
this is impossible (both physically and methaphorically. No person anywhere,
can destroy or belittle another persons work of art, short of actually
attacking
the art physically (Like, if I were to create my own piece of art using the
original Mona Lisa and a pen-knife. But were I to paint my own version of
Mona Lisa,
in a non-flattering way, the original painting will still be there
untouched.)
Barks stories are preserved in printed comics as long as the paper last, and
I see
no evidence of Rosa wanting to first buy up all the printed versions of
Barks stories,
before dumping in the deepest place in the ocean, keeping one for
himself...oh, wrong story...,
and then demanding a stop to all future reprints of Barks stories.
Nor do I see him attempting to force the editors to rewrite the original
Barks stories,
to fit in with his own constructed time-line.

Origininality.
And, you even judge stories before you read them, yet protest when people
call you
pre-judgemental. And all this because there might be a chance that some
element in
the story has been based on a Barksian "fact" or idea. Here I still do not
understand,
surely you don't think all other Disney stories are completely original or
un-influenced
by Barks? Most of the Duck adventure stories are base around a Barks story,
any story
that uses the characters Barks inventeded, any story that builds on the
assumption that
Scrooge is scottish, or Duckburg is located by a river/ocean, etc. In
addition, there
are No original stories today, it is simply impossible as we all are
influenced every
day by everything we read, hear or watch. An artist would have had to live
in a vacuum
or been raised a hermit in order to avoid being influenced by another
artist.
And Barks influences many artist, either directly or in-directly (conciously
and subcounciously(sp?) as well,
and example of the in-direct influence are the stories with the relative of
Goofy that
looks like Indiana Jones. Several of those stories have been parodies of the
Indiana Jones movies,
and those movies were influenced by Barks Duck stories.

....oh my, I knew there was a point in here as well, but it seems to have
been
lost in the excessive flow of words.....

To finish up, I'd also like to mention that I feel people are a bit, shall
we
say "passionate" in this mailing-list. I haven't really felt upset over
anything
that has been written here, merely disagreed with some of it. The only thing
I did
think was over the top, and this has more to do with language, was the usage
of
the word "rape". This word sounds a lot more vicious and nasty in English
than it
probably does in Dutch.
So, I hope no one has ended up on unfriendly terms with each other over this
discussion, and that we can all respect each others opinions.

- Martin S. Thoresen