Lost Behath the Sea / From Dime to Dime / Letter to Santa

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Thu Apr 8 02:12:00 CEST 2004

BLUE SOLSTRAND to me, 07-04-2004:

>> ['Lost Beneath the Sea'] Scrooge wants newspaper reporter Donald to
>> simmer down, because he (Scrooge) tries to keep a trip out of the
>> news for business reasons. His family has to help him guard the
>> Old Number One dime.

> Hm... I'm afraid I never read that story (someone said two years ago
> that there's a lot of Barks I haven't read, and unfortunately it's
> still true),

I envy you. I'm a Barks ruminator when it comes to his stories.
You still have so much "fresh" adventures waiting for you, calling
for you. I have nothing. I'm only a poor old collector. :-)

> Am I the only person being reminded of Geoffrey Blum's "From Dime
> to Dime" ("Dime and Dime Again") when hearing this?

No.

> Are the two stories relatively similar around this?

Yes.

> If so, does anyone know whether this was an intended hommage or plot
> theft, or if this is a coincidence?

I'm sure Blum intended it as a hommage. He's a professional Barks scholar.
That should rule out any coincidence, I'd say. :-)

> I get a feeling that this part of the story is similar in both these
> stories, and Geoffrey Blum of all people must have known about this
> Barks story (even though I didn't).

Hasn't Blum written an article on 'From Dime to Dime", in a Gemstone
comic? (I really don't know, at the moment.)

> I'm curious to whether this was an hommage, a theft of plot Blum hoped
> nobody would notice, or a plain coincidence.

Hiding something for DISNEY READERS? People like you and me?
That's impossible, don't you think? :-)

BTW. Has anyone found the visual "Letter to Santa" error, yet? I expected
it to be common knowlegde... (Hint: Look at Santa Donald while fighting
with Santa Scrooge.)

--- Daniël

"Take your bulb horns and go back to Bulgaria!"

hint #1: "The Love Song Of A Bulgarian Tree Toad!"
hint #2: "My word! What UNUSUAL answers!"