Donald, nephews, and judo

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Tue Apr 13 15:40:09 CEST 2004

RODNEY BOWCOCK, 09-04-2004:

> Imagine my red face when I discovered that I had made a mistake in
> my description of Hall of the Mermaid Queen! [US 68] No, I didn't
> find that I liked it, but I did find that the nephews didn't learn
> judo, it was Donald.  Now....I suppose I can accept the possibility
> of Huey, Dewey and Louie picking up judo somewhere along the line,
> but Donald?!

In panel 20.8, Donald says: "I knew if I got SCARED enough I could
remember my JUDO!"

Donald may have learned judo when he was as old as the nephews. He
just didn't *remember* it before, as adult. :-)

> He can't do anything right, much less pick up judo (though I'd love
> to see a Van Horn story where he tries to).

In the swimming race ten-pager (WDC 71), Donald is a remarkable good
swimmer. And in the water ski race (WDC 62) ten-pager, Donald isn't
really as bad a water skier as he seems to be. And maybe there are
other Barks stories in which Donald is good in sports?

But I will promptly agree that such stories are a minority (and should
stay that way), but still... I've never thought twice about this scene
of Donald remembering his judo. What do others think about it?

BTW. I hate (most) stories about sports. So, I'd rather see Donald stay
away from sports in *any* case. :-)

> What ruins it is that it's a rehash of 'Lost Beneath the Sea',
> which while good, was never a classic to begin with.

It also contains elements of 'A Christmas for Shacktown' (OS 367).

--- Daniël

"This is quite a mystery! Let's sit down with some pop and sandwiches
and figure it out!"

(Which Barks story?) :-)