DCML Digest Issue 43

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Mon Apr 26 16:09:46 CEST 2004

> From: "Anthony Vuono" <avuono at UDel.Edu>
> Subject: Update?
> Dear Don Rosa,
>     This is my usual email asking how your latest story is
> progressing. Are
> you at the inking stage yet of "The Three Caballeros and the
> Mines of Fear?"

Ever-so-slowly. My time spent answering e-mail constantly digs into my
workday. I've been sitting here for 2 hours just this morning, trying to get
at least the short e-mail replies written. And dealing with eBay purchases
and DVD orders and everything else I wish I had a "personal assistant" to
handle!
I am part way through the final inking stage on this story. I've decided to
title it "The Magnificent Seven (Minus Four) Caballeros". The other title
was a play-on-words that would not work in any language but English, so it
would be the same as not giving the story a title at all and allowing the
translators to each make up their own titles, which I don't wish to do since
story titles are important to me.

> Also, has the issue been resolved over the cable car station at Sugar Loaf
> Mountain in Brazil?

It's been "resolved" in that I've already inked those panels, so it's too
late for further research. But apparently no photos seem to exist of the
pre-1960 cable car stations, considering how many people I've had searching
for them, even right in Rio. So I show 1950's cable cars entering 1960+
stations. But which will puzzle the readers in Rio? Not my use of the modern
stations which they see in real life. It's my use of cable cars that they
have never seen that will puzzle them. But perhaps they will take a clue
from the fact that I show Donald arriving in Rio on a 1949 Boeing
Strat-o-Cruiser turboprop airliner. Or perhaps not. Can't be helped. At
least when I visit Brazil next month I'll be able to explain the situation
in advance...