On Line Comic Shops

Marvinw marvinw at zahav.net.il
Fri Aug 6 22:33:49 CEST 2004

As an overseas (i.e. non-U.S.) collector of  Disney back issues and new Gemstone comics, I have had considerable experience in ordering via internet. MileHighcomics,Denver, use either FedEx or United Parcel Service to ship international. This is much more expensive than air mail. Mycomicshop.com, Lone Star Comics in Dallas Texas, which previously had connection with MileHigh, ship international using regular air mail in parcel boxes. This usually takes several weeks to arrive. I have requested both MileHigh and LoneStar by email to use Global Priority Mail Envelopes but they do not seem particularly interested.

The Global Priority Mail Envelopes are available at all U.S. post offices and to ship to Europe and the Near East they cost together with postage $9. This is a flat rate for up to 4 lbs (about 1.8 kg.) The Envelope is stiff and so no extra packing is needed, up to 10 comics can be inserted and mailed just so. This mail usually arrives in less than a week. For back issues both NostalgiaZone.com, Minneapolis Minn. and Ksacomics.com, Amarilo Texas, use the Global Priority Envelopes as their standard. Both provide excellent service. Nostalgia Zone web site does not show pictures of the comics but their grading is correct. Ksa shows pictures but they are rather pricey on the more recent back issues.
For the new Gemstone comics, I find that NewEnglandcomics.com, Boston, provide excellent service and use the Global Priority Envelope. Another possibility for the new comics is Midtowncomics.com, New York City; they give a good discount on their comics and will use the Global Priority Envelope if requested. However they appear to be a big outfit and I have had difficulty because some of their employees don't seem to be able to address mail properly.
I hope this experience will be of value.
Marvin Winitz