DCML Digest, Vol 22, Issue 15

Gary Leach bangfish at cableone.net
Mon Dec 20 17:44:50 CET 2004

> The idea about restoring comics on dvds sounds pretty good.

Disney sees the medium, not the content, as the determining factor in
allowing a licensee to extend into another product area. Though a DVD's
principle content may be comic book pages, to Disney that does not make
it a comic book, nor even printed matter (the product area in which our
license has the most scope). A case would have to be made that Gemstone
would be the logical choice to put Disney comic book material onto
DVDs, as of course it is, but this would need to address where it might
possibly infringe on another licensee, or even a license Disney has yet
to issue to anyone.

Gemstone's capacity to design, produce, distribute and market DVDs
would also have to be addressed. But these issues had to be addressed
for Gemstone to do the Disney comics - it's all a matter of determining
what needs to be done and what - and who - it will take to do it.

That another US licensee would want to undertake projects like this
seems unlikely, so I would imagine that if Gemstone expressed an
interest, Disney would listen. With both parties motivated, the rest
would be dealing with the details - and the devils that lurk within
them.

Gary