Dead Characters

Lars Jensen lpj at forfatter.dk
Wed Dec 22 21:33:58 CET 2004

Adel Khan wrote:

>> How/why are certain characters declared dead/offlimits?
>
> The reason is Ludwig Von Drake isn"t that popular in comicbooks [...]
> Egmont won"t use him cause he isn"t that popular in Europe [...]

No, as Don Rosa said Egmont decided to "kill off" Ludwig because they
don't like that character. It has nothing to do with whatever popularity
LVD may or may not have in Europe or in Disney comics in general.

> Not there choice Barks and Disney are the creators they can say that
> not Egmont.

While making comics, Barks never had any say in which character was dead
and which was alive. (I fail to understand why Barks would be seen as an
authority on Ludwig, anyway.) And yes, Egmont actually does have the
power to decide whether it wants to use Ludwig Von Drake. As Don said.

Lars