DCML Digest Issue 25

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Wed Dec 29 07:42:30 CET 2004

From: "Mickey" <mickey at iol.it>
Subject: Rosa & Gottfredson
In the Italian forum of "Papersera" this doubt came up sometimes...
Does Don Rosa like Floyd Gottfredson? And why shouldn't him consider Floyd
as much as Carl Barks?

I never met him but I'm sure he was a very nice man.

Oh, you mean do I like his comics? Well, keep in mind that we in America are
very Disney-comics-deprived compared to Europeans, especially compared to
Italians. Italians in general have been exposed for decades to the entire
history of American newspaper strips in thousands of reprint editions,
whereas we Americans have never seen any of that material reprinted except a
few low-print run editions of a few strips (Foster's TARZAN, Segar's POPEYE,
etc.) from fan-publishers sold by mail to a select few collectors in recent
years. Why, there's an Italian-born comics dealer in America who sells
nothing but Italian reprint books of old American strips to us who can't get
them any other way.
Anyway, I was never exposed to Gottfredson's comics -- they were never
reprinted anywhere when I was growing up with Barks and Murry and Strobl.
The first we saw of Gottfredson was some reprints by Gladstone, but I never
paid much attention since by then I had plenty of other interests to keep
track of, and I have never had any interest in Disney comics other than
Barks'. So,  I can see that Gottfredson was obviously a genius by how
popular he is with Europeans, but I'm busy elsewhere reading and collecting
other stuff. My loss.