Cuthbert and Matilda

M.J. Prior M.J.Prior at student.rug.nl
Sun Feb 1 14:25:40 CET 2004

Mickey:

> I can't find the story where [Cuthbert] appears.

It's "Donald learns the ropes". Cuthbert lives on a cattle
ranch at least ten miles from Duckburg and I don't get the
impression that Donald hasn't met him before.

http://stp.ling.uu.se/pipermail/dcml/2003-March/022123.html

Anders Christian Sivebæk:

> But all in all, i just wanted to point out what you also
> say - that Barks gave her the name - that she wasn't made
> up by Don - I just wanted to be sure that was known.

That's true. Carl Barks gave $crooge two sisters *and* he
named them Matilda and Hortense. But when Lars Jensen
referred to Matilda as "Don's character", he was talking
about how she looks - and that's entirely Don's design.

> Barks gave Matilda some position - in one of his trees, if
> I'm not mistaken, he made her be Gladstone's adoptive
> mother - is that not so?

That's correct. Gladstone was born to Luke the Goose and
Daphne Duck, who both died from overeating at a free lunch
picknick. Gladstone was then adopted by Matilda McDuck and
Goosetave Gander. Matilda's only function in Barks' tree
was to provide a solution to how Gladstone could be
related to both Grandma and $crooge.

http://goofy313g.free.fr/calisota_online/trees/barks.html

Greetings,

Michiel Prior.