Cuthbert Coot's Ranch

Rob Klein bi442 at lafn.org
Tue Feb 3 03:31:14 CET 2004

>From Barks' story, it's clear that Donald and his cousin knew each other very
well.  They are very friendly, and Donald has come unannounced to help with the
Spring Roundup.  It is clear he has been at his cousin's ranch before, and
Cuthbirt has no problem (nee actually is glad)with Donald's having come for an
unannounced visit.

As to the location of the ranch - Donald says The Ducks came "down" to the
ranch.  That can mean only two things: They drove in a southward direction,
and/or they lowered in elevation to get there.  I suspect, that it is probably
both.  In USA, in map/compass directions, down refers only to south.  No one
travels down north. One says: "back east", "out west", "up north", and "down
south". Further, the landscape around Cuthbert's ranch is desert or semi-desert
(at best). Such a climate cannot exist close to Duckburg. It must be at least
several hours of auto driving away. In addition, it must be on the lee side of
high mountains, and also probably lower in elevation (e.g. below see level), to
have such a difference in climate, so nearby. This is quite possible, as
Calisota is on the US West Coast, between California and Oregon, and thus, must
have a high mountain range connecting the Sierra Nevada Mountains of
California, with the Cascade mountains of Washington and Oregon. Barks'
portrayal of The Eagleclaw Wilderness and Aeolian Mountains fits that
requirement.  The Aeolians are so barren, as they are the second mountain range
moving easterly from The Pacific Ocean.  They are in the rain shadow of the
extremely high Eagleclaw Mountains (similar to the drier White mountains east
of The lofty Sierra Nevada Range. Cuthbert's ranch must be a fair way south,
and a bit east of the highest portion of the Aeolian Mountains (thus suffering
from the double rainshadow (as does Death Valley-just east of The Panamint
Range-first range east of Sierra Nevada Mountains, south of the White
Mountains). Donald must have driven southeastward through the Black Forest,
then continued through the lush green forests up the western slopes of The
Eagleclaw Mountains, then eastward through a narrow pass, then southeastward
down the slopes ofits"dry side", continued south and through a pass between the
drier Aeolian Mountains, down its dry side, and south another 100 miles or so.
The entire distance should be at least a 6hour drive, or at least 300 miles.

That distance and time/distance is consistant with The Cuthbert Coot story, and
with Barks other stories in which The Ducks drive in there car, and after
several hours, reach desert landscape (Camel story, Dread Valley Sandy story,
Stone's throw from a ghost town, The Ghost Sheriff, etc.). In the Cousin Coot
story, Donald grabs the Kids, jumps in his car and starts driving.  We see them
later, away from the city, and only 10 miles from the ranch. We have no idea
how long they've been driving.  We don't even know if it is the same day.
Because of the extreme difference in climate, it cannot be anything near only
10 miles away. Such a short distance would only be in the outer suburbs of
Duckburg, or in the farmland just outside. I submit that the Boys were playing
in the early morning, and they took a six hour drive, arriving at the ranch in
early afternoon, the same day.  I say the ranch is approximately 300 miles
southeast of Duckburg, across two mountain ranges, in the southeastern corner
of Calisota.