Shamrock and Sherlock

Dan Shane danshane at bellsouth.net
Wed Feb 4 12:49:35 CET 2004

KRITON WRITES IN REPLY TO OLA:

> > I just found out that shamrock is a kind of Irish clover. Why is the
> > character Shamrock Bones named after this ? I can't see any Irish
> > connection to him.
> > Or is this some kind of English words play that I as a Swede fail to
> > understand ?
>
> My guess is that it is a humorous reference to the name of an obscure
> character called Sherlock Holmes, but one wouldn't expect anyone, other
> than
> the handful of Holmes fans, to figure it out. :-)

AND I RESPOND:

Sherlock Holmes is hardly obscure, at least not in English speaking lands.
He has appeared in more movies than any other fictional character (Tarzan is
second), and is very well known as the first novelized consulting detective.

He has another Disney connection, serving as the model for the Disney
animated film THE GREAT MOUSE DETECTIVE, also known as BASIL OF BAKER
STREET.

Dan