The Greatest SF Movie?

Carey Furlong stratocruiser at cox.net
Sun Feb 8 19:17:50 CET 2004

> From: CarmenG at aol.com

> (Well, Forbidden Planet took ideas from Shakespeare, after all.) The
> special effects, state-of-the-art for the time, were done by none
> other than the
> Disney company--animators, I'd guess, although I don't have my
> facts in front of
> me right now.
> Alas, I read last year that the movie was being remade. However,
> I also heard
> that Robbie the Robot (the Ariel character) would not be
> redesigned. Can we
> at least get Leslie Nielson to play Morbius?

They're remaking Forbidden Planet?  Good gravy! I hope they don't muck it
up.  That picture means too much to me. Seeing Robie the Robot back in
action would be a real treat!

Forbidden Planet's monster was created by Joshua Meador, the head of the
Disney animation effects studio. Although tame by today's standards, it was
considered excessively frightening at the time, and was removed by some
state censor boards.

On a related note, Peter Jackson, producer of the Lord of the Rings
pictures, is currently remaking King Kong, which I at first thought was a
wonderful idea...  until I read the screenplay he wrote back in 1995.  I did
not like it. It was too smart-alecky, and made Carl Denham out to be an
insensitive jerk.  At least Kong was still in character (mean).  Apparently
that script has been junked, and Jackson, Fran Walsh and writer Philippa
Boyens are rewriting the screenplay. A completed draft is expected this
month.

Carey Furlong
Dana Point,  California