Forbidden Planet/King Kong Again!

L. Schulte lschulte at sfstoledo.org
Mon Feb 9 16:57:53 CET 2004

Members might be interested in knowing that "Forbidden Planet" featured the
first completely electronic music score.
Also, if it is being remade, I do believe Leslie Nielsen in his dotage has
played the fool in too many movies to return to drama, even a "space opera"
like "Forbidden Planet".
I have also heard that "Forbidden Planet" was made into a musical.,
q.v.  http://test.cawcutt.com/show.php

Concerning King Kong, the original from 1933 with the great musical score
by Max Steiner remains much better than the '70's remake, which was written
by Lorenzo Semple, famous or infamous for the 1960's "Batman" TV show.  I
have read that in the 1970's someone planned to re-create the original 1933
script with only a few updates in language, with the original Max Steiner
score, and of course up-to-date special effects.  But the disastrous
Jessica Lange version, financed by Dino de Laurentis, received a green
light instead.  Let us hope that any third version will return to the
original: and if you do not know the original, watch it especially for the
incredible rock-'em sock-'em performance of Robert Armstrong as the
adventurer/showman who brings King Kong to New York.  And Fay Wray, the
heroine, is still alive today, in her mid or late 90's!
q.v.  http://www.shillpages.com/faywray/fwmain.shtml

I would like to read what Mr. Rosa thinks of "King Kong", now that he has
revealed that "Forbidden Planet" is his choice for greatest SF movie of all
time, which I tend to agree with.